Town and Gown
The Town and Gown Compact created in 1990 represents the mutual interests and association between the Rock Hill and Winthrop communities. This document characterizes a commitment and an on-going relationship among well-meaning and mutually interested parties to work together and uphold the values of cooperation and civic responsibility. The annual review and rededication demonstrates an effort by all parties to maintain and renew as necessary a positive relationship.
Greek Organizations holding events at their chapter house will:
· Notify neighbors in writing at least 48 hours before any event.
· Give neighbors the name and telephone number of the responsible person for each event.
· Designate at least one (1) risk team member for every 25 people in attendance (minimum of 3 risk team members) to enforce risk management guidelines at events who will be at the event during its entirety. These monitors should include at least one (1) member of the chapter’s executive board and at least one (1) active member at or above the legal drinking age of 21. New members should not be serving as risk team members.
· Avoid throwing trash outside of house.
· Clean the house grounds and any surrounding areas including parking lots no later than 8:00 a.m. the following morning.
· Keep windows and doors closed during the parties.
· Refrain from displaying any inappropriate act outside, including urination, chanting, yelling, and fighting.
· Be allowed to begin parties as early as they wish, but are required to end parties by 1:00 a.m. Sunday through Thursday and 2:00 a.m. Friday and Saturday nights.
· Observe both city and Winthrop University parking laws.
· Follow the state's open-container law and keep alcohol out of public view.
· Move parties to designated areas by 10:00 p.m. (inside, front yard, or back yard).
· Continue to meet with city and university officials at the beginning of every academic year to review the laws.
· Appoint two students to the Town and Gown committee of neighbors, city and college officials, and owners to resolve conflicts.
· Complete a Social Event Registration form to be submitted online to the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs (OFSA) by 5:00 p.m. at least seven (7) days in advance to obtain approval.
· OFSA will monitor all Greek organization events according to the Social Event Guidelines.
Greek Organizations that hold events in residential locations other than the chapter house (Satellite House1) will:
· Also complete a Social Event Registration form to be submitted online to the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs (OFSA) by 5:00 p.m. at least seven (7) days in advance to obtain approval.
· Also notify neighbors in writing at least 48 hours before any event.
· Attempt to refrain from any act that would reflect negatively upon the chapter, Fraternity & Sorority Life, and the University, while trying to closely follow the guidelines laid out above.
1 A satellite house party is being defined as any party that is taking place at a house, other than the chapter house, that the majority of the residents are members of a particular Greek Organization and the simple majority of the chapter is present at the party.
Property Owners will:
· Draw up leases that will address complaints of loud partying, establish rules on the length, frequency, and notification of the neighbors and police as laid out in this compact, and set guidelines for house and grounds upkeep.
· Post rules in an obvious location on the property.
· Regularly review city codes and upgrade property to meet current laws.
· Provide backyard parking if available.
· Be given procedures to follow in case of a housing code or zoning violation, or to file a noise complaint (telephone and online submitting options).
· First attempt to contact the organization (the #1 name and telephone number listed on the written notification) before calling the police.
· Be given a list of off-campus groups that sign this agreement.
· Be given a list of addresses and phone numbers of all Greek organizations that own or rent housing, including the property owners of the chapter house.
· Be allowed to receive copies of leases that contain specific restrictions.
· Be given procedures to follow when seeking a zoning change for their neighborhood that does not permit group housing.
· Stay in contact with the Greek house near them by serving on the Town and Gown committee.
Winthrop University will:
· Educate the chapter leaders, Greek organizations, and Winthrop police officers as to the provisions of the Town and Gown compact.
· Sponsor a meeting with Greek organizations, university and city officials at the beginning of every academic year to review this compact.
· Allow Greeks to park in designated on-campus lots during designated times without Winthrop University decals for events.
· Notify the University and Rock Hill police departments, chapter advisor, other key university officials, and the person submitting the request once the Social Event Registration Form has been submitted and approved by the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Affairs.
· Have a no tolerance policy for noise and any other violations for any unscheduled and/or unapproved event. That event will be immediately shut down and the organization will be referred to the Fraternal Conduct Board or the Dean of Students Office.
The City Will:
· Give interested citizens procedures to follow to report housing, building code, and zoning violations, to file a noise complaint (including telephone and online options), or to seek a zoning change in their neighborhood to eliminate Group homes.
· Enforce city and state alcoholic beverage laws.
· Randomly patrol problematic parking areas.
· Paint yellow curbs and post parking sings.
· Enforce off-street parking rules for group housing.
· Co-sponsor an annual meeting of the Town and Gown committee to take place at the beginning of every academic year and any called meeting as deemed necessary by the City of Rock Hill Police department Patrol Lieutenant.
· Educate personnel as to the provisions of the Town and Gown compact.
· Have a no tolerance policy for noise and any other violations for any unscheduled, unapproved event and that event will be immediately shut down.