Policy Title

Withdrawal from Winthrop University




This policy applies to all students.

Policy Number:
Effective Date:09/01/2018
Date Reviewed: 09/01/2018
Last Review Date: May 1 2015 12:00AM; 04/20/2021
Responsible Official: Faculty Conference
Responsible Office: Academic Affairs
Contact Information:

Academic Affairs

115 Tillman Hall

Rock Hill, SC 29733




1.0 Specific meanings of bold terms seen throughout this policy can be found within the University's policy definition glossary by following the link below.

1.1 http://www.winthrop.edu/policy-definitions-glossary

Students who find it necessary to discontinue their college work during a semester or summer session should officially withdraw from the University. A student who withdraws before the course withdrawal date of the semester receives grades of N for all courses. If the student stops attending after the withdrawal date of the semester, the student receives grades of F, U, or I, as the individual instructors deem appropriate.

A student may withdraw after the course withdrawal deadline with documented extenuating circumstances. Such circumstances include the following:

death of an immediate family member;

traumatic and unforeseen circumstances which are considered beyond a student’s control;

prolonged emotional instability, physical injury or illness which has resulted in the student’s inability to complete academic responsibilities;

or a change in nonacademic employment beyond the student’s control.

Documentation of such circumstances must be definitive and must be submitted along with a request for withdrawal with the assignment of an N grade to the Registrar or his designee no later than the last day of classes for the semester in question. Failure to withdraw officially may seriously affect a student’s eligibility for future readmission or for transfer to another institution. Documentation is required for students withdrawing after the deadline.

Undergraduate students who wish to initiate the withdrawal process should obtain and submit a Withdrawal from the University form. If the student has received Financial Aid, the student should contact the Financial Aid Office for a signature in order that they may understand any implications for withdrawing. The student is also asked to contact the Office of Student Financial Services for financial information and to obtain a representative’s signature as well.

This section was intentionally left blank.

This section was intentionally left blank.

© Winthrop University · 701 Oakland Avenue · Rock Hill, SC 29733, USA · 803/323-2211